Play this video of images from the latest Travel Photographer of the Year competition to transport your students' imaginations. NB. Some of the images are graphic.
- Print out some of the images and display these around the classroom. Use post-its for students to add adjectives for a lesson on vocabulary, or add questions about the images to prompt creative writing.
- Use the camel racing photographs for a discussion about the use of robots, and how local traditions have remained or changed in your local area. For a related story, see http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2014/jul/14/annual-swan-census-begins-on-thames.
- The video contains some ‘graphic’ images. Discuss why an image is shocking for some, and what it would take in words. Create headlines or stories about the shocking images.
- Get students to imagine a photograph of somewhere they will be going in the holidays. Using the five senses, set students a writing task to describe the scene.
- Conversely, get students to choose a photograph and imagine that it is a postcard from a holiday destination. Set them a writing task to write a postcard home, or a travel writer’s blog entry for the place.