Unlocking Poetry at KS4 - Great help with GCSE!
During NATE week on Teachit, I sang the praises of Unlocking Poetry, a NATE publication authored by Chris Warren and me. It provides all of the pre-1914 poems from all of the anthologies in electronic format, writing and discussion ideas, together with the texts of the poems in these forms:
- interactive Word Walls (click on a brick to see the word, click again to hide it) - see Ozymandias
- de-sequenced poems for students to reassemble - see During Wind and Rain for a variation on this approach
- collapsed poems (the text collapsed into alphabetical order) - see During Wind and Rain
- collapsed, unsorted (in other words, line endings removed) - see Home Thoughts from Abroad
- the Revelation game (gain or lose points as you choose the hidden letters) - see Spellbound
- Whiteboard annotation tool - see Sonnet 116
Why not order your copy at NATE's Bookshop?
» NATE Bookshop
Trevor Millum's Poetry Collections:
Exploding Heads - Comic Strip Poems - ideal for reluctant readers!
Warning - Too Much Schooling Can Damage Your Health - poems for 10-14 year olds with lots of writing ideas
(both available from NATE)
A Stegosaurus is for Life and other animal poems
Double Talk (with Bernard Young)
(both available from HandsUp Books or Amazon)
Trevor Millum's ICT and English books include:
Sharing not Staring (creative IWB ideas) - new edition, Routledge 2014
Teaching English Using ICT - Continuum 2011 - for secondary teachers
Improving Literacy with ICT - Continuum 2011 - for primary teachers