A support sheet of paragraph prompts for use when planning an essay on the two poems:
How do Frost and Owen present the emotion of shock in their poems ‘Out, Out’ and ‘Disabled’?
This resource was designed for the essay part of the Edexcel IGCSE English Language reading coursework. Includes advice on how to structure the essay and notes with suggested points, which could be for students who need additional support or as a teacher guide.
- Begin with an overview of both poems with some linking idea. For example:
- Both Owen and Frost present powerful feelings about the consequences of an injury.
- In ‘Disabled’ Owen presents a soldier who has been disabled …
- Frost also explores a terrible injury in his poem ‘Out, Out’ but this injury …
- Use topic sentences to introduce a key idea at the beginning of each paragraph. It is good to include a mix of topic sentences which explore the ideas that the poet is exploring and topic sentences which explore significant methods used by the poets.