A light-hearted quiz in the style of popular magazines to let students explore their attitudes to English and be introduced to the concepts of prescriptivism and descriptivism. Aimed at A-level English Language students early on in the course.
Sample questions from the quiz:
The Oxford English Dictionary includes slang words. What do you think about this?
- It’s fine – it is all part of the English language and you’d expect a detailed dictionary to have all forms of English. (1)
- It’s utterly unacceptable. A dictionary needs to teach people the proper use of English. (3)
- Depends on what the slang words are. For example, I would not want offensive slang words to be included. (2)
When out and about, do you:
- Find yourself getting irritated with missing apostrophes and misspellings in signs. (3)
- Sometimes notice misspellings and wrongly used apostrophes in signs. (2)
- Never pay attention to spelling or punctuation in signs as long as they make sense. (1)