Activities to help students explore the significance of the handkerchief in the play.
Iago describes the handkerchief, which he knows is so important to Othello, as
‘… a handkerchief
Spotted with strawberries …’ (Act 3 Scene 3)
Imagine you are that handkerchief. Research the text to plot out your journey:
- Who was your original owner?
- Whose hands have you been in?
- Who was given you as a gift?
- What is your significance in the unfolding of the play’s tragic denouement?
- What do you symbolise and how does this link to the main concerns/themes in the play?